I recently was given a copy of the 2010 Green Jobs report by the US Commerce Department. There were five things that really stood out to me in this report. They were:
1. The Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the economy of the United States of America rose by 1-2% from the green economy. This means that products which reduced pollution or saved energy was part of the increase of our countries gross domestic product.
2. From 2003 – 2007 (the years they gauged) jobs rose by 1.8 – 2.4 million (conservative and liberal estimates).
3. In the service sectors was the largest gain of jobs. 13% of the total job increase was due to green service related jobs.
4. This means that “between $371 billion to $516 billion of private sector shipments were from the Green economy.”
5. While it was modest 3% of the total growth to construction was due to green jobs.
In addition, based on these estimates and given the $90 billion the United States Government is investing in the green economy can only spell great things ahead for all of us in tough times and good times.