Excerpt from Build Your Own Electric Vehicle
Why do we need more electric cars on the road?
Electric cars are the cleanest, most efficient, and most cost-effective form of transportation around. Seriously, electric cars are high-performance vehicles that will continue to meet new challenges in the future.
Here are some other reasons why we do need to have more electric cars on the road:
- No oil changes
- No spark plugs
- No other real repairs.
- Electric cars represent the most environmentally friendly car fuel, as they have absolutely no emissions.The energy generated to power the electric car and the energy to move the car is 97 percent cleaner in terms of noxious pollutants.
- Another advantage of electric motors is their ability to provide power at almost any engine speed. Whereas only 20 percent of the energy in a gas car converts to actual, useable energy, 75 percent or more of the energy from a battery reaches the wheels.
- Less than 2 percent of U.S. electricity is generated from oil, so using electricity as a transportation fuel would greatly reduce dependence on imported petroleum.
- Even assuming that the electricity to power the EV is not produced from rooftop solar or natural gas (let’s assume it comes 100 percent from coal), it is still much cleaner than gasoline produced from petroleum!
- The power plants are stationary sources that can be modified over time to become cleaner.
- The electric car would cost no more than $1.25 to fill up regularly. In New York terms, that’s less than a token on the subway.
Information taken from The Need To Build Electric Vehicles Now! by Seth Leitman and Build Your Own Electric Vehicle, 2nd Edition by Seth Leitman and Bob Brant.