Imagine producing in a 50′ x 75′ area as much food as a 16 acre farm.
VertiCrop™ is a growing method selected in 2009 by TIME Magazine as one of the World’s Greatest Inventions.
This sustainable technology was developed to grow food naturally in bustling urban environments and represents a paradigm shift in farming and food production. Providing up to 20 times the yield of normal field crops, while using only 8% of the water typically required for soil farming.
Utilizing a unique, suspended tray configuration on a moving conveyor system, VertiCrop™ provides optimal exposure to either natural or artificial light along with precisely measured nutrients for each plant. Designed to grow healthy, leafy green vegetables in closed loop and controlled environments, VertiCrop™ eliminates the need for harmful herbicides and pesticides, while maximizing taste, nutrition and food value.
Growing better quality food using less energy and resources? Makes sense to us.
Designed to grow in any climate and with an exceptionally small footprint in urban environments, VertiCrop™ uses only a fraction of the resources needed for field agriculture, while generating substantially higher yields.
Growing with VertiCrop™
- Yields are approximately 20 times higher than the normal production volume of field crops
- VertiCrop™ requires only 8% of the normal water consumption used to irrigate field crops
- Works on non-arable lands and close to major markets or urban centers
- Does not require the use of harmful herbicides or pesticides
- Able to grow over 50 varieties of leafy green vegetables
- Significantly reduces transportation distance, thereby reducing cost and carbon foot print
- Provides higher quality produce with greater nutritional value and a longer shelf life
- High levels of food security due to the enclosed growing process
- Scalable from small to very large food production operation
VertiCrop™ patented technology represents a paradigm shift in farming and food production by providing up to 20 times the yield of field crops, while using only a mere 8% of the water required for land farming.Growing leafy green vegetables in a proprietary, suspended tray configuration on a moving conveyor system, VertiCrop™ provides maximum exposure to light (either natural or artificial), along with precisely measured nutrients for each plant. Designed to grow in closed loop and controlled environments, VertiCrop™ eliminates the need for harmful herbicides and pesticides, while maximizing food taste and nutrition. Developed over several years by Valcent and Valcent(EU), VertiCrop™ grows higher quality produce much more efficiently and with greater food value, when compared to commercial field agricultural.