Back in September, Green Mountain Energy Company announced it received the Austin Chambers’ 11th annual Greater Austin Business Award for large companies in the Environment category. The company received the award for demonstrating its commitment to environmentally sound practices. The award was presented to Green Mountain during the 11th annual Greater Austin Business Awards at the Hilton Austin on August 31, 2011.
The Greater Austin Business Awards are the premier business awards in Central Texas, recognizing small, medium and large companies in Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis and Williamson counties. This year, the business community submitted 383 nominations for the Business Awards – the highest number of submissions ever – which were narrowed down to 20 awards winners in the categories of Innovative Practice; Customer Service, Community Relations; the Environment, Health & Wellness; Technology; and Non Profit. The finalists and award winners are listed at http://www.austinchamber.com/membership/events/signature-events/business-awards.php
“This Austin Chamber signature event illustrates our fundamental principle of honoring businesses of all sizes for their success and contribution to the community,” said Austin Chamber Chairman of the Board and President of ABC Services, Bobby Jenkins. “We recognize businesses like Green Mountain, not only because they help to drive the economy in Austin, but also because they serve as role models in their respective areas, providing solid examples of how businesses of all kinds can thrive in Austin.”
“As a company founded with an environmental mission, Green Mountain Energy Company is honored to receive this award from the Austin Chamber,” said Paul Thomas, president and CEO, Green Mountain Energy Company. “This award recognizes that Green Mountain Energy Company is committed to not only selling environmentally friendly products, but also running our business as a sustainable enterprise.”
Here are some examples that demonstrate how Green Mountain operates its business sustainably:
- Silver LEED-certified headquarters: recycled fiber carpets, recycled content desks and chairs, efficient lighting, etc.
- Duplex printing policy for all printers; environmentally preferable printing methods, including using soy-based inks on paper made with at least 30% post-consumer fiber and benign whitening products.
- Recycling program at headquarters for most materials to reduce waste (glass, aluminum, batteries, cell phones, plastic bags, anything that can be torn)
- When disposable kitchen items are necessary, the company uses potato starch-based flatware and recycled paper cups, and employees are also encouraged to use compost bins we have.
- Publicly issues a biannual sustainability Ceres report that discloses our corporate environmental policies and performance.
- Work with American Forests to preserve forest ecosystems; through donations made by Green Mountain a total of more than 100,000 trees have been planted
- Employees are regularly encouraged to volunteer for conservation and clean-up projects. Green Mountain employees have even adopted a street to clean in downtown Austin through the Keep Austin Beautiful program.