Subscribe to get access
Read more of this content when you subscribe today.
This April, 72 AEG Facilities-affiliated arenas, stadiums, theaters, clubs, convention centers, and teams celebrated Earth Month by raising environmental awareness and giving back to their communities. These venues and teams came up with a wide range of events and messages to get employees, guests, and community members engaged in helping the environment, from planting vegetable gardens to caring for trees in local parks to sharing “green tips” on social media.
“We were thrilled to have 100% participation from AEG’s owned and managed venues,” said John Marler, AEG’s Senior Director, Energy and Environment. “It’s a testament to how far we’ve come in integrating sustainability into our company culture.”
The Earth Month activities organized by AEG Facilities-affiliated venues and AEG-owned team this year included:
· The LA Galaxy and StubHub Center in Carson, California celebrated Earth Day with LA Galaxy legend Landon Donovan, LA Galaxy Academy players, and their employees, who came together to care for trees in Edward Vincent Park in partnership with TreePeople, a local nonprofit.
· The LA Kings held several events for Earth Month in conjunction with April games, including a “Go Metro” promotion, a battery recycling drive with Staples, a cell phone recycling drive with Cell Phones for Soldiers, and an exhibit of Rain Supreme, a collection of rain barrels designed by local artists to raise awareness about the drought and how to capture rainwater.
· Mercedes-Benz Arena in Berlin, Germany held a “carbon neutral day”, during which the arena exclusively used energy produced by its on-site cogeneration plant run on biogas, and installed a beehive on its roof to support bee populations in the area, promote the pollination of local plants, and produce local honey.
· L.A. LIVE, STAPLES Center, and Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California partnered with Goodwill to host a donation drive for e-waste, clothing, and more on April 29th.
· Mercedes-Benz Arena in Shanghai, China organized its employees to participate in National Geographic’s Earth Day Run on April 17th, designed to raise awareness of environmental issues facing Shanghai.
· Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Center in Brisbane, Australia educated staff about water conservation throughout Earth Month, hosting workshops and visiting with local nonprofit Tangalooma Ecomarines
· 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colorado hosted an e-waste recycling drive in conjunction with the Race4Kids Health 5K and Expo on April 10th, collecting more than 160 pieces of e-waste.
· Ülker Sports Arena in Istanbul, Turkey invited local nonprofit ÇEVKO to raise awareness about recycling at the Fenerbahçe Ülker basketball game on April 24th.
· Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California rallied 90% of its employees to walk, bike, take public transit, or carpool to work on Earth Day. All participating employees received breakfast and a reusable grocery bag.
· Kuala Lumpur Convention Center in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia organized employees to participate in a volunteer tree planting event at the National Zoo.
· Verizon Theatre at Grand Prairie in Grand Prairie, Texas planted a vegetable garden on site, with the goal of donating food to a local charity and inspiring employees to garden at home.
· Playstation Theater in New York, New York organized employees to volunteer with National Rebuilding Together Day on April 30th, helping low-income home owners restore damage from Hurricane Sandy and rebuild sustainably.
· Arvest Bank Theatre at the Midland in Kansas City, Missouri launched a new glass recycling program with Glass Bandit, a local recycler.
· Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, California organized employees to join a beach cleanup at Mission Bay Aquatic Center on April 17th.
· Keswick Theatre in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania held its fourth annual Earth Day e-waste recycling drive on April 23rd.
· Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota encouraged employees to take alternative transportation to work on Earth Day and hosted an e-waste recycling drive.
· Qudos Bank Arena in Sydney, Australia hosted an employee volunteer event cleaning up sections of Sydney Olympic Park on April 28th.
· Mill City Nights in Minneapolis, Minnesota hosted an employee park cleanup at Lake Nokomis on April 21st.
· Oracle Arena and Oakland Alameda Coliseum in Oakland, California held an employee e-waste recycling drive.
· The Bluebird, Ogden, and Gothic Theaters in Denver, Colorado helped promote Earth Day Denver, a city festival designed to celebrate Earth Day and provide green living tips.
· Dalian Arena in Dalian, China hosted a battery recycling drive on April 19th.
· Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, New Jersey encouraged guests to carpool by offering free parking to cars with four or more passengers for The Used’s concerts on April 30th and 31st.
· Hawai’i Convention Center shared “green tips” with employees throughout April and promoted various Earth Day events occurring on the island.
· Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri hosted an e-waste recycling and paper shredding drive in partnership with Bridging the Gap on April 22nd.
· Perth Arena in Perth, Australia invited the local water utility to promote water conservation to guests attending the Ice Age Live shows from April 22nd – 24th.
· The Shrine Auditorium and Expo Hall in Los Angeles, California helped promote Earth Day LA, a city event to share tips for energy efficiency, water conservation, composting, and other opportunities to “go green” with local residents.
· The Fonda Theatre in Los Angeles, California hosted a cell phone recycling drive benefitting Cell Phones for Soldiers.
In addition to these events, many more AEG venues spread the message of sustainability during Earth Month on social media and at events. Beyond celebrating Earth Month, AEG supports Earth Hour, America Recycles Day and other community-based environmental initiatives throughout the year. These initiatives are a part of AEG 1EARTH, AEG’s environmental sustainability program, which aims to reduce the organization’s environmental impact and drive business value through sustainability. Later this year, AEG will release its fifth AEG 1EARTH Environmental Sustainability Report, which will provide an update on AEG’s environmental performance and share stories of AEG’s involvement in Earth Month and other environmental events worldwide.
Los Angeles, CA (May 3, 2015)
This site is protected by wp-copyrightpro.com