The African Development Bank’s Board of Directors has approved a grant to the government of Sudan. All for accelerating adopting solar-powered irrigation pumps. This is to be located in the countries West Kordofan and North Kordofan states.

In addition, one recently installed in Kenya to create actual clean water.

In Kiunga and Kenya, have been forced to drink, cook and bathe in contaminated, brackish water for years.

In 2018, GivePower, a nonprofit that provides solar energy solutions to regions that need it most. It installed its first-ever solar water farm. All which has been providing clean water to 35,000 people every single day.

The solar water farm turns the salt water of the Indian Ocean into clean drinking water through advanced filtration systems. The main issue is that water plants cost a lot to run, however, solar panels have helped solve this issue.

GivePower’s solar water farm harvests solar energy using its solar panels. These are able to produce 50 kilowatts of energy and power two water pumps that run 24 hours a day.

Back to Solar Irrigation

In addition, the project will also enable farmers’ adoption of renewable energy technology. As a result and through the installation of 1,170 photovoltaic (PV) irrigation pumps. As well as the establishment of maintenance and repair workshops for the pumps. Finally and the supply of equipment for a pump testing laboratory; all providing certification and training.

As we know, solar PV systems emit zero carbon dioxide during operation. Thus solar PV can shut down the primary driving force behind global warming and climate change. What about the energy used to make PV panels? If fossil fuels are used to make PV panels all good. Because those fuels will emit carbon dioxide. Studies have shown that it takes 2 to 2.5 years of operation for a crystalline silicon PV panel’s output to match the energy used to make the panel.

African Development Bank approving solar irrigation for Sudan

Agriculture is an important economic sector in Sudan. In 2016, nearly 40% of the country’s GDP came from farming. For the sector, and for the wider economy, the project offers significant and numerous knock-on benefits. Farmers will realize the cost-efficiency from no longer needing to purchase diesel. More over because it’s an already scarce commodity in these rural areas.

Mr. Paul Baldeh, the Bank’s Director for Power Systems Development, noted that “by extending farmers a grant covering 75% of installation costs, the government and with the African Development Bank support”. Then they will overcome the most significant hurdle of adopting clean PV technology. It’s high upfront costs The remaining 25% will be payable in installments over three years. Furthermore, he added that the irrigation pumps project will conduct a ground water survey and sustainability assessment that will inform the development of further projects in Sudan.

In conclusion, this African Development Bank project meets the Sudanese government’s renewable energy and poverty reduction objectives. That’s as well as the Bank’s High Five and Energy Sector Policy. Moreover, the solar irrigation pumps project has strong potential. Finally; to be replicated and scaled up in other parts of the country.

Source: African Development Bank Group, Sudan, 23-Dec-2019 and

%d bloggers like this: