First off, Investments in green infrastructure projects are key to supporting the unique needs of northern communities of Canada. That’s while protecting the environment and promoting cleaner, more sustainable energy options that will benefit northerners for generations to come.
Furthermore, they announced $40 million in funding for the Inuvik Wind Generation project. This is the first project under the Government of Canada’s new Arctic Energy Fund, which supports energy security in Northern communities.
So the Inuvik Wind Generation project will develop an energy system. This system will include the installation of wind turbines, a grid controller and a large battery storage system. Without question, this will generate energy when the wind slows down. In addition, it also includes the construction of a 5-kilometre access road from Dempster Highway to the project site. Also and most importantly connections to the local electric grid. This project will provide a more efficient, reliable and cleaner source of energy for Inuvik residents. It will help protect the environment and lower greenhouse gas emissions by reducing diesel use.
“Investments in green infrastructure projects are not only important for our environment. However, they also improve the quality of life for those working and living in the North. I am proud to announce that the Inuvik Wind Generation project is the first infrastructure project to be funded under the Government of Canada’s Arctic Energy Fund. This is which supports energy security in northern communities. The Inuvik Wind Generation project will help protect our environment and provide the community with a more efficient and cleaner source of energy.”
The Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure
- The Government of Canada is investing up to $30 million through the Investing in Canada plan – Arctic Energy Fund. In addition the Government of the Northwest Territories is contributing up to $10 million for the Inuvik Wind Generation project.
- The Inuvik Wind Generation project is the first project announced under the Government of Canada’s Arctic Energy Fund. The fund supports energy security in communities in the North. In addition and including Indigenous communities, by investing in upgrades to existing fossil fuel-based energy systems. Furthermore and as well as supplementing or replacing these systems with renewable energy options.This is improving energy reliability and efficiency as well as reducing pollution.
- Through the Investing in Canada infrastructure plan, the Government of Canada will invest more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects. In addition, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
- $26.9 billion of this funding will support green infrastructure projects. That’s including $5 billion that will be available for investment through the Canada Infrastructure Bank.
- $2 billion of this funding will support infrastructure projects. Projects that meet the unique needs of rural and northern communities. They are like facilities to support food security, local access roads and enhanced broadband connectivity. In addition, $400 million will be delivered through the Arctic Energy Fund to advance energy security in the territories.
- $4 billion of this funding will support infrastructure projects in Indigenous communities.
In conclusion, Investing in Canada: Canada’s Long-Term Infrastructure Plan:
Finally, Investing in Canada Plan Project Map:
Federal infrastructure investments in Northwest Territories:
SOURCE Infrastructure Canada