Is your college located far from the place you live? Why spend a lot of time on the way to college and way back home if you could use eco-transport solutions? There are many eco-friendly and affordable transport solutions for college students. Check the review below to choose the transport that will suit your needs best.
The concept of this vehicle assumes the use of a single wheel. Although there are many design options, most often it is a traditional spoke wheel with a bicycle fork frame. The saddle is attached to the seatpost, while a clamp secures it in height. The pedaling of a single wheel sets the unicycle in motion. You can hold on to the handle on the saddle with one or both hands. Controlling your body, looking for new opportunities, the desire to stand out – these are the very first features that a unicycle opens up to extreme lovers and ordinary people.
A unicycle will not allow you to develop a tremendous speed (more than 20-25 km/h) and loses the maneuverability characteristic of a two-wheeled bicycle, but it has very small dimensions. The lightweight and compactness give a second wind to this environmentally friendly and healthy vehicle in the conditions of many modern European cities. You can easily get on a unicycle to work or study along pedestrian and bicycle paths, and at any time continue the route on public transport. Another reason to get a unicycle is the opportunity to have fun in your free time in the parks and walking alleys of your city.
On Amazon, you can find models in the range of $35 to $100 with different wheel diameters. Check the bestseller here. The main manufacturers to look out for are Unicycle, Avenir, M-Wave, Aosom, Uno, Torker. The models of these brands have an adequate price and positive customer feedback.
- Compact size
- Can’t develop high speed
- Not very maneuverable
The main advantage of an electric scooter is the battery operation. This saves you a lot of money as you don’t have to buy expensive fuel. Besides, it is a concern for the environment and the ability to recharge the battery in any locality. And given that one battery charge is enough for about 40 minutes of driving, you can move on such a scooter virtually anywhere if the road surface allows.
- Maximum speed in the region of 50 km h;
- On one battery charge, you can travel up to 120 km;
- Regular maintenance is optional;
- The vehicle itself is more compact than a motorcycle;
- The battery is charged to a full charge in 6-8 hours;
- Driver’s weight allowed is up to 200 kg;
- Perfect for beginners who want to get around in a vehicle, but are not yet very confident in their own abilities.
- You can’t plan trips for a long distance if there is no place where you could charge your e-scooter.
More and more attention has been paid to environmental protection in Europe lately, so it is not surprising that some gasoline scooters are already banned by law. The price for adult e-scooter on Amazon varies from $150 and higher. The durable options that are worth your attention are from $200. Check here.
E-bike is one more good choice for college students who want to spend less time on the way to college and back. Have a closer look at the advantages and disadvantages before you buy an e-bike.
- The ability to quickly start uphill without rolling back.
- Expanded route selection – steep climbs and long distances are no longer intimidating.
- Elimination of overloads in difficult areas.
- In case the battery runs out, the foot pedal can be used.
- The batteries are charged from the household power supply.
- Availability of a resource for powering electric vehicles.
- Solving the problem of low cadence.
- Transportation of goods is simplified.
- Light weight (compared to motorcycles and scooters).
It is much easier to organize the process of parking and storing a vehicle, both at home and at the workplace, than in the case of a car or other oversized equipment. Another important advantage of this technology: the absolute environmental friendliness of transport, enhanced by the functionality and speed of electric transport. If a regular bicycle requires significant effort from the rider, then an e-bike at the right time will save important resources, overcoming the most difficult sections of the path easily and quickly.
- Relatively high price compared to conventional bicycles (up to $2000).
- Relatively heavy when compared to a scooter, hoverboard, or segway.
- Electric vehicle batteries need to be charged regularly and correctly.
- Electricity is afraid of moisture, dirt, snow, and low temperatures.
- The need to install more advanced anti-theft systems.
- An increase in the speed of travel on an e-bike leads to a decrease in safety. At least simple motorcycle equipment is becoming more relevant. You should wear a helmet.
Check options on Amazon and choose the one that fits you best.
Road bike (or highway bike) is one eco-friendly transport solution for college students. Weigh all the pros and cons of this type of transport to make a well-informed buying decision.
- Narrow road tires and wheels.
- The handlebars are ram horns, but some bicycles are fitted with straight handlebars, like on mountain bikes.
- The fairly lightweight frame, components, and wheels.
- Composite carbon front fork.
- Allows you to ride faster and further than other types of bicycles.
- Lack of rear or front suspension.
- Riding on rough, uneven surfaces is not recommended.
- Nearly all highway bicycles lack the rack mounts typically found on touring bikes and mountain bikes. This doesn’t mean in any way that you cannot drive it to college or work, it means that you need to purchase a bag or a backpack for things, instead of simply putting them in a bicycle bag.
Check options here. The price on Amazon varies from $300-$600 and higher.
If you consider buying an electro car, consider all the pros and cons below.
- Absence of harmful emissions, which are one of the main elements of environmental pollution;
- Comparative reliability and durability of the engine during long-term operation;
- The ability to charge batteries from a standard electrical network, which allows significant cost savings. In addition, there is an opportunity to save on cheap nighttime electricity, which is generated by power plants at night.
- High-efficiency factor compared to conventional car engines;
- Less noise is generated;
- Possibility of emergency braking by an electric motor in the electromagnetic brake mode.
- Batteries do not have the same engine power as conventional cars.
- The high cost of high-energy batteries due to the use of expensive metals.
- Large loss of energy by batteries during sudden starts and not constant speeds.
Make a choice of an eco-friendly transport solution based on its pros and cons. Remember that you need to follow all the safety requirements when driving any of the vehicles above.
Jilian Woods is an essay writer at Grademiners.com. She graduated from Oxford and has a large experience in writing custom essays and reviews on the topics she is passionate about. Ann is a real expert in college topics.