Step Forward Paper™  is a new type of paper made most from wheat straw (actually 80 percent to be exact) with the remaining 20 per cent is made of Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified wood fibre.  They just got their biggest client.  Staples in Canada!! That was easy!!  Don’t worry USA, they are coming in 2013 stateside!

Step Forward Paper™  is a new type of paper made most from wheat straw (actually 80 percent to be exact) with the remaining 20 per cent is made of Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified wood fibre.  They just got their biggest client.  Staples in Canada!! That was easy!!  Don’t worry USA, they are coming in 2013 stateside!

@Stepforwardpapr is using the straw that naturally comes off of wheat. This paper actually has a positive impact on the environment. @dagmarbleasdale

Environmental Perspective

Canada’s boreal forest is home to eight of the ten largest intact forest ecosystems left in the world. The boreal forest contains an interconnected ecosystem of plants. Also animals, insects and microorganisms. All that interact with the physical environment of soil, water and air. This essential global resource plays a significant role in mitigating climate change. Especially by absorbing and storing carbon dioxide.

Step Forward Step One Wheat Straw

Fifty per cent of the harvested Canadian boreal forest is currently used to produce paper products. “A key solution to protecting our world’s species and climate is finding fibre that doesn’t come from our last remaining ancient and endangered forests,” said Amanda Carr, Campaign Director with environmental not-for-profit Canopy. The organization has worked collaboratively with over 700 publishers and printers for over a decade to build a market for tree-free papers, and was consulted on the study. “With this research we can assure the companies we work with that wheat straw paper offers clear environmental benefits,” said Carr.

“It’s always been a big concern of mine that paper comes from forests,” said Woody Harrelson, a co-founder and investor in Prairie Pulp & Paper Inc. The two-time Academy Award nominee and long-time environmental advocate. One who received an honorary doctorate from York University for his environmental work.

So Woody told me “Step Forward Paper™ is a real plus for the forest. Yes folks, I was on the phone with Woody. I mean it’s a real plus for the farmers. We also agreed and it’s going to be great for our future.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNEpgNcFOBU&w=560&h=315%5D

Step Two Stepping Forward..To the Paper Machines.

GLG: Hey so what about our old paper mills??

So of course Woody is excited that this study provides consumers with results. Especially objective measures of the relative positive and negative impact of different papers on the environment.  Now they know trees are worse off than step forward papers!

Step Three Step Forward Sell The Paper!!!

Study

Recently Step Forward did an environmental carbon impact study on their paper and OF Course their paper is greener and more environmentally safe than 100 percent FSC certified paper.  Next story on the report coming.

Stay tuned!!

Sources: Offsetters is Canada’s leading carbon management solutions provider, based in Vancouver, BC. www.offsetters.ca.

Prairie Pulp & Paper Inc www.stepforwardpaper.com.

About Canopy www.canopyplanet.org

[1]Non-renewable energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, wastewater, aquatic acidification, aquatic eutrophication, terrestrial acidification, and land occupation.