When looking at websites before booking any one vacation facility, right? Like, what’s the criteria you should take special notice of?
The best places will highlight their best practices. These may include some or all of the following:
- a mission statement (their purpose and goals)
- social responsibility statements; often referred to as CSR statements (to their local community)
- use of renewable energy sources like solar or wind power
- how waste is disposed of and / or recycled
- reliance on locally sourced, often organically grown, foods and beverages vs globally bought foods
On another level you need the following too:
- support of permaculture
- on-site gardens, rainwater collection
- local or recycled materials used in building the facility
- use of water-sparing faucets, showers, and toilets
- use of power-sparing lighting fixtures or LED lighting and energy efficient appliances or Energy STAR
- limited use of throw-away paper or plastics. Also when you enter the place do they give you a cup to use.
- use of biodegradable cleaning products
- emphasis on hosting individuals or small groups
- offers guided walks and hikes to explore and explain about the local ecosystems and wild animals and birds
- horseback or donkey riding excursions (or by camel depending on where in the world you are)
- participation in carbon-offset projects such as tree planting
- participation in local clean-up projects, watershed rehabilitation, pollinator greenways, etc.
Hiking and camping in the backcountry of the state of Alaska is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Click here to read more from the perspective of an experienced guide – https://www.ecotourlinq.com/blog/spotlight-interview-with-alaska-alpine-adventures
Coming up in Part 4 – A Sampling of Destinations and Green Places to Stay
Guest Writer Bio: Deborah Regen is the publisher of a website directory and blog dedicated to consumer information about ecotourism and sustainable travel. She also sends out a free monthly e-newsletter to subscribers including notices of giveaways. Site URL = https://www.EcoTourLinQ.com and her email = email@example.com