Statement of Madeline Page, Clean Cars Campaign Coordinator, Public Citizen
Note: Ford Motor Company last week submitted comments (PDF) regarding the Trump administration’s proposal to dramatically roll back fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards, known as clean car standards. In its comment to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Ford touted a dubious study sponsored by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which is the trade association for automakers. The study repeats flawed and much criticized assumptions made in the administration’s analysis of costs, benefits and the impact of a rollback on consumers. Ford asked for expanded “flexibilities” – code for loopholes – and indicated support for a range of alternative standards suggested by the administration, all of which would cause increased pollution and higher expenses for consumers at the gas pump.
By wholeheartedly endorsing this administration’s misleading claims about the clean car standards, Ford Motor Company has made it clear where its priorities lie. Rather than standing up for consumers, public health and the climate, the automaker and its lobbyists are doubling down in support of undoing the standards and remain in lockstep with Trump’s dangerous deregulatory agenda.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)