The Norwegian Postal Service has ordered 29 electric trucks from Volvo. All trucks have the same driveline. They come in different configurations of the Volvo FL and FE models, with two and three axles respectively.
“We are happy to have made this deal and we want to put these vehicles in operation quickly, from Tromsø in the north to Kristiansand in the south. 37 percent of our fleet now runs on renewable energy – and that share will increase significantly going forward. We have an ambitious environmental strategy that will benefit the whole country and in order to keep the pace up in this important work, we need quality-focused and ambitious partners like Volvo,” says Kenneth Tjønndal Pettersen, press officer at the Norwegian Post.
The Norwegian Postal Service has previously placed an order with Volvo for 13 biogas fueled and three e-trucks. In total during 2022 Volvo Trucks will deliver 32 electric and 13 biogas fueled trucks to the Norwegian Postal Service.
“This is clearly the largest order ever for these electric trucks in Norway, and it is a major contract even in an international context,” explains Espen Sanne, Fleet Sales Manager Volvo Trucks Norway.
In the level of deployment of electric trucks in Europe, Norway is currently surpassed only by Switzerland. Big players like the Norwegian Post are showing their commitment. They are breaking new ground by implementing their progressive environmental strategies for transport. The goal is to help solve the distribution challenges of both today and tomorrow.
“It is very important that the big players lead the way. This kind of order clearly tells the world that regional transport with electric trucks is feasible. It’s also a solution on a large scale. The Norwegian Post is helping to demonstrate that this is realistic already today,” comments Bjørn Inge Haugan, Sales & Marketing Director, Volvo Trucks Norway.
Facts about Volvo Trucks’ electric trucks:
- Volvo Trucks has five fully electric truck models, to cover a wide range of transport needs.
- Six including the VNR electric for the North American market)
- The Volvo FH, Volvo FM, and Volvo FMX Electric are heavy-duty trucks with a total weight of up to 44 tonnes. They are for sale in Europe and production will start during the second half of 2022.
- Series production of the Volvo FL and FE Electric for city distribution and waste management started in 2019 in Europe.
- Production of the Volvo VNR Electric for North America started in 2021.