Have you ever wondered how you REALLY stack up on energy efficiency?
For this week’s Do 1 Thing tip, check out ENERGY STAR’s Home Energy Yardstick and find out how your home compares to similar homes.
By answering a few basic questions about your home, you can get:
- Your home’s Home Energy Yardstick score (on a scale of 1 to 10);
- Insights into how much of your home’s energy use is related to heating and cooling versus other everyday uses like appliances, lighting, and hot water;
- Links to guidance from ENERGY STAR on how to increase your home’s score, improve comfort, and lower utility bills; and
- An estimate of your home’s annual carbon emissions.
To calculate your Yardstick score, all you need is some basic information about your home:
- Your ZIP code;
- Your home’s square footage;
- Number of full time home occupants;
- A list of all the different fuels used in your home (e.g., electricity, natural gas, fuel oil); and
- Your latest utility bills, which will usually show a 12 month summary
Once you find out your score, you’ll know how far you have to go to improve. Share your score on social media to encourage others to get measured too. And, join the conversation on social media with #Do1ThingENERGYSTAR.
See more information and Do 1 Thing tips at www.energystar.gov.