All-new Kia EV6 crossover ushers in new era of electric driving excitement
(IRVINE, Calif.) May 18, 2021 – The all-new 2022 Kia EV6 crossover arrives as the brand’s first dedicated battery electric vehicle (BEV). The introduction of EV6 signals the U.S. launch of Kia’s ‘Plan S’ strategy that will deliver 11 all-new electrified models across the world by 2026.
Starting with the EV6, Kia’s EV lineup will carry a unique naming convention. The “EV” designation will also be followed by a number that indicates the car’s position in the lineup.
The E-GMP modular platform therefore maximizes development efficiency. For it also enables the Kia brand to expand its dedicated EV portfolio. I mean across multiple vehicle segments. For I mean sedans, CUVs, SUVs. Moreover in a short time and with minimal complexity. The architecture also provides an adaptable foundation. For that’s with a long wheelbase and wide stance.
The EV6’s proportions unify Kia’s all-new “Opposites United” design language and also deliver crossover functionality. The visual language combines classic sports car inspiration with high-tech cues. Also modern CUV styling and a coupe-like profile. The EV6 has the same 114.2-inch wheelbase as the Kia Telluride. For it compares with the width of a Ford Mustang Mach E. Most interestingly and also the wheelbase and ground clearance of a Tesla Model Y.
The EV platform also enables jaw-dropping performance. Also AWD capability and ultra-fast charging times. The vehicle delivers up to an estimated 300-miles of all-electric range (AER). In addition with vehicle-to-load (V2L) functionality. Also a flat-floor interior that utilizes sustainable materials throughout the cabin. The EV6 also offers a wide array of advanced driver assistance systems, adding an unprecedented level of connectivity and safety.
In addition, the first EV6 models are expected to go on sale in early 2022 in all 50 states with the GT arriving in late 2022.
EV6 First Edition
In a first for the brand, Kia will offer a special EV6 First Edition available by advanced reservation at Kia.com starting June 3. Limited to just 1,500 units, the EV6 First Edition offers the styling of the standard design. One which includes exterior details such as black wheel arches in a fully loaded package. The Augmented Reality (AR) Head-Up Display, Remote Smart Parking Assist, wide sunroof. Also 20-inch wheels, premium 14-speaker Meridian audio system and a two-year subscription to SiriusXM7. For all options are open and for grabs. I mean among the upgrades in the EV6 First Edition. Yes folks and along with dual-motor AWD. Finally and a 77.4 kWh battery.
Three unique color combinations include Glacier with dark green seats. Also an Urban Yellow with black seats. Finally a Steel Gray Matte with black seats. The First Edition will be the only way to get the look of the Steel Matte Gray paint on an EV6 with the standard design while the Urban Yellow exterior color will be exclusive to the First Edition. Completing the aesthetic are illuminated door sills with the First Edition designation, along with a numbered interior badge highlighting the limited production volume.
‘Opposites United’ CUV Design
Imagined, penned, and brought to life by Kia’s three design studios. For that’s in Seoul, Frankfurt and Irvine, California. That’s because the EV6 crossover is a worldwide collaboration. All inspired by a new design philosophy. For it is called ‘Opposites United’. One which takes its cues and inspirations from the contrasts. Those contrasts found in nature and also everyday life. Key design elements include:
- “Digital Tiger” grille form serves as Kia’s new tiger nose design
- Headlamps offer sequential dynamic light pattern
- Flush exterior door handles
- High rear deck serves as a spoiler
- Cross-car rear light cluster
- Wheel sizes will be available in 19, 20 or 21-inches
A Foundation for the Electric Age
E-GMP serves as the core technology for the next generation of Kia EVs. Highlights include:
- Rear-wheel-biased; available AWD capability with front electric motor
- Strong body structure utilizing 75 percent high-strength steel (HSS) and ultra-high strength steel (UHSS)
- Five-link rear suspension
- World’s first mass-produced integrated drive axle (IDA) to enhance ride comfort and handling, combining wheel bearings with the drive shaft to save weight
- A long wheelbase and short overhangs maximize interior space with flat floor, no tunnel layout
- Underfloor mounted battery placement enables low center of gravity for stability
Battery Tech for Superb Performance, Extended Range, Fast Charging and Innovative V2L
EV6 offers up to 576 horsepower and an extended AER up to a targeted 300 miles. Especially across several configurations (AER for specific drivetrain configurations will be announced closer to the EV6’s on-sale date):
- RWD: 58.0 kWh battery with a 160kW rear motor yields 167 horsepower
- RWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 160kW rear motor yields 225 horsepower
- AWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 70kW front motor and a 160kW rear motor yields 320 horsepower : Estimated zero-to-60 performance in 5.1 seconds
- AWD: 77.4 kWh battery with a 160kW front motor and a 270kW rear motor yields 576 horsepower(GT)
- Estimated zero-to-60 mph performance in less than 3.5 seconds
- Not available until late 2022
Beyond its impressive power and range, the EV6’s advanced battery system enables the convenience of ultra-fast charging. Especially with the following features and capabilities:
- World’s first patented multi-charging system supporting 400v and 800v DC charging. So this car works on DC chargers with speeds ranging from 50kW to 350kW.
- 800v DC fast charging from a 350-kW charger allows
- Nearly 70 miles added in less than 5 minutes
- Up to 210-miles (10-to-80 percent) added in under 18 minutes
- 11kW on-board charger (OBC) for Level 2 recharging from 10-to-100 percent in 7 hours and 10 minutes (240v AC, at 40-amps) for the larger 77.4 kWh battery versions.
Innovative Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) functionality makes EV6 a power source on wheels. Moreover to support everything from computers to home improvement projects to camping and tailgating. Electricity flows from the high-energy battery to an Integrated Charging Control Unit (ICCU), providing 1900 watts of power to electrical appliances, devices, tools and recreational equipment. The system highlights include:
- 110V power outlet located in a socket on front of second row seat base; adapter to draw power from the external charge port
- From a full charge, power can be drawn from the vehicle for 36 or more consecutive hours8
- EV6 is able to charge vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) at 1.1 kW, equivalent to a 110V charger
Sustainable, Spacious, Tech-Savvy Cabin
The EV6 offers a modern and eco-friendly cabin with a spacious, flat floor design. Standard and available interior highlights include:
- Extensive use of recycled plastic throughout interior
- 100% vegan leather surfaces on some trims
- 100% LED lighting inside and out
- Slim front seats
- Thin seat frames use ultra-light “giga-steel” to maximize rear seat space/knee room due to a slim seat back design
- 27.7 cubic feet of cargo space behind 60/40 split-folding second row; 53.5 cubic feet of cargo space with second row folded down
- Hands-free Smart Power Tailgate for easier cargo access
- Additional storage space for small items in front trunk (frunk)
The EV6 offers a wide array of standard and available technology features. For example or including:
- Panoramic dual integrated 12-inch TFT center cluster and infotainment screens that form a wide, horizontal, curved display extending across the instrument panel
- Augmented Reality9 (AR) Head-Up Display (HUD) system projects graphics from the base of the windshield in a large three-dimensional image that appears to be over the hood of the car
- Bluetooth10 functionality
- Wireless smartphone charging11
- Meridian Premium Audio system
- UVO link connected vehicle experience:
In addition, the EV6 also offers a roster of standard and available features. All moreover that enhance safety and convenience. For they are including:
Surround View Monitor (SVM): For this utilizes four cameras. All to provide a 360-degree perspective around the vehicle. Thereby enhancing driver confidence in tight parking situations.
- Parking Collision-Avoidance Assist-Reverse (PCA-R): Detects certain objects behind the vehicle, issuing an audible warning when an obstruction is detected and will automatically assist with emergency braking if there is a risk of collision
- Rear Occupant Alert (ROA)12: Upon exiting, the vehicle provides a reminder to check for unattended passengers that may remain in the rear seating area.
- Remote Smart Parking Assist (RSPA). For this allows remote parking. Also exiting a parking spot with the driver operating the EV6 from outside the vehicle.
- Safe Exit Assist (SEA)13: Audibly alerts the driver or passengers opening their door not to exit the vehicle when the system detects approaching traffic. The system can intervene to lock the rear doors when the vehicle is equipped with available Power Child Lock
The Safety of Advanced Driver Assistance
In conclusion and as part of Kia’s overall commitment to safety, the EV6 has safety. I mean a comprehensive list of 21 standard active Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS)5 . For that’s including:
- Blind-Spot Avoidance Assist (BCA): Under certain conditions, most noteworthy it can detect vehicles traveling in the next lane. When a vehicle is detected in the blind spot, the vehicle brakes the outer wheel under certain conditions to help return the vehicle to its lane
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)14:
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA
- Other standard iterations of FCA include FCA-Ped (Pedestrian), FCA-LS (Land-Change Side), FCA-LO (Lane-Change Oncoming), FCA-JC (Junction Crossing), FCA-JT (Junction Turning)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA 2)15
- ISLA (Intelligent Speed Limit Assist)
- Navigation Based Smart Cruise Control-Curve (NSCC-C): Leverages the navigation system to lower the vehicle’s speed proactively before upcoming curves in the road
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Avoidance Assist (RCCA): Helps detect most approaching cross traffic only and most importantly when in reverse. When approaching cross traffic is detected, the system alerts the driver and applies the brakes