Sustana is a leading provider of sustainable paper and packaging solutions. Thereby committed to reducing its impact on the environment.
On February 2, 2023, the company most importantly announced its near-term science-based greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction target. It was approved by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi). This target is also in line with limiting global average temperature rise to 1.5 °C.
Sustana’s GHG emissions reduction goal consists of thereby reducing absolute Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions 42% by 2030. That’s from a 2021 base year. Also, measuring and reducing its Scope 3 (value chain) emissions. By taking this action, Sustana is also making a commitment. Especially to reduce its impact on the environment. All the while also helping to reach the Paris Agreement’s goal. That’s of keeping global warming below 2°C.
Science Based Targets
The Science Based Targets initiative was created in 2015. All to help companies set emissions reduction targets in line with the latest climate science. The SBTi is an independent body comprised of organizations such as the World Resources Institute, CDP, and the United Nations Global Compact. The initiative provides a framework for companies to set emissions reduction targets in line with the most recent climate science.
In order to meet its GHG emissions reduction target, Sustana is taking a comprehensive approach that includes reducing energy use, transitioning to renewable energy sources, and reducing waste and water use. The company is also investing in research and development to create more efficient processes and materials.
Sustana has also partnered with several organizations to develop and implement programs that will help the company reach its goals. The company has partnered with the World Wildlife Fund to create a carbon neutrality roadmap that includes measuring, reducing, and offsetting emissions. Sustana has also partnered with the Environmental Defense Fund and the Natural Resources Defense Council to develop a water conservation roadmap.
In addition, Sustana is also working with the Climate Leadership Council to develop a framework that will enable the company to measure and report on its emissions. This framework will include tracking emissions at the facility, product, and supply chain levels. The data collected will be used to create emissions reduction strategies and monitor progress.
The Science Based Targets initiative has recognized Sustana’s commitment to reducing its emissions and has approved the company’s near-term GHG emissions reduction target. This is an important step forward in Sustana’s efforts to reduce its impact on the environment and to help reach the Paris Agreement’s goal of keeping global warming below 2°C.
Sustana is committed to its GHG emissions reduction goal and is taking concrete steps to reduce its emissions. By partnering with organizations such as the World Wildlife Fund, the Environmental Defense Fund, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Climate Leadership Council, Sustana is demonstrating its commitment to reducing its impact on the environment and to helping reach the Paris Agreement’s goals.
- Science Based Targets initiative. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://sciencebasedtargets.org/
- Sustana. (2023). Sustana’s GHG emissions reduction goal approved by the Science Based Targets initiative. Retrieved from https://www.sustana.com/news/ghg-emissions-reduction-goal-approved/
- World Wildlife Fund. (n.d.). Carbon neutrality roadmap. Retrieved from https://www.worldwildlife.org/carbon-neutrality-roadmap
- Environmental Defense Fund. (n.d.). Water conservation roadmap. Retrieved from https://www.edf.org/water-conservation-roadmap
- Natural Resources Defense Council. (n.d.). Water conservation roadmap. Retrieved from https://www.nrdc.org/water-conservation-roadmap
- Climate Leadership Council. (n.d.). Framework for measuring, reducing, and reporting emissions. Retrieved from https://www.clcouncil.org/framework-for-measuring-reducing-and-reporting-emissions/