Go Green Lighting!!

The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) awarded Philips Electronics the Bright Tomorrow Lighting Prize (L Prize) in recognition of being the first company to successfully develop an LED replacement for the common 60-watt incandescent light bulb. Submitted in 2009, the Philips LED bulb was the first and only product to successfully complete 18 months of rigorous field, lab and product testing, meeting or exceeding the high standards established by DOE for quality.

In 2007 the US Department of Energy (DOE) established a competition, the Bright Tomorrow Lighting Prize (L Prize), challenging the lighting industry to develop replacement technologies for two of the most widely used and inefficient products: 60 Watt incandescent light bulb and PAR 38 halogen light bulb. The DOE recognized that energy efficient alternatives needed to be made readily available and become the new standard for Americans.

The L Prize will enable Philips to invest in the manufacturing and marketing of the lamp here in the US, creating clean energy jobs. In addition, the company will invest in research and development of LED lamps, looking for ways to optimize production and reduce costs. This will help increase adoption of energy-saving LED lighting by overcoming one of the major barriers to LED adoption – price.

Key Light Bulb Facts:

·          Every year it is estimated that more than 425 million 60 Watt incandescent light bulbs are sold in the United States alone, representing approximately 50% of the domestic incandescent light bulb market.

·          The traditional incandescent that has been the market staple for more than a century,  uses 10% of its energy output for light and wastes the other 90% as heat.

·          According to the DOE, an LED replacement for the Edison bulb could save 34 terawatt-hours of electricity in one year, enough to power the lights of nearly 18 million U.S. households.

·          It would also avoid 5.6 million metric tons of carbon emissions annually.

·          The 60-Watt LED Equivalent Light Bulb has a lifetime of more than 25,000 hours, which is 25X greater than a typical incandescent bulb

Established through the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, the L Prize challenged the industry to meet its very demanding requirements – ensuring that performance, quality, lifetime, cost and availability meet expectations for widespread adoption and mass manufacturing.  However, Philips already developed and brought to market 60 and 75-watt LED equivalents for the common household bulb as a direct result of the L Prize technology, giving consumers options that can meet Energy Star guidelines and save money today.

More About Green Lighting

LEDs to account half of commercial lighting market within 10 yrs   

It’s Official. LEDs are the new light product to go green in our house for greenlighting.

Pharox Rocking Out LEDs after Release Of Green Lighting Book!

Google gives the Best Present to All It’s Employees: Green Lighting!

Philips Buys into the Sustainable Technology Business.

Launch of Neighbor to Neighbor Lighting Gets Boost From Me “The Green Living Guy”!

Green Lighting – The Book

This site is protected by wp-copyrightpro.com

%d bloggers like this: